US judge dismisses Cristiano Ronaldo rape lawsuit in Las Vegas

District Judge Jennifer Dorsey alleged Mayorga’s attorney engaged in “bad faith conduct” and the use of “stolen” confidential documents that irretrievably spoiled the case

A US judge has dismissed a Nevada woman’s rape lawsuit against Cristiano Ronaldo in Las Vegas.

Kathryn Mayorga offered the Manchester United footballer to pay her millions of dollars more than the £305,000 ($375,000) in a confidentiality agreement she received after she claimed he raped her in Las Vegas in 2009 – an allegation , which Ronaldo has always denied .

U.S. District Judge Jennifer Dorsey dismissed the lawsuit on Friday, ruling that Mayorga’s attorney, Leslie Mark Stovall, had engaged in “bad faith conduct” and the use of “stolen” confidential documents that the judge said perpetuated the case irretrievably spoiled.

Kathryn Mayorga accused Cristiano Ronaldo of raping her in 2009
(

Picture:

Getty)

Dorsey issued a 42-page order dismissing the case outright with no option to refile it – and said it was a severe sanction, while adding that Ronaldo had been harmed by Stovall’s conduct.

The judgment read: “I find that the obtaining and continued use of these documents was in bad faith and the simple disqualification of Stovall will not eliminate the prejudice against Ronaldo as the misappropriated documents and their confidential content are embedded in the fabric of ( Plaintiff Kathryn ) Mayorga’s allegations.”

It added: “Tough sanctions are deserved.”

Dorsey had followed recommendations for 2021 by US Judge Daniel Albregts, who criticized Stovall’s behavior and reliance on the leaked and confidential documents.

“There is no way this case can proceed unless the court can say what arguments and testimonies are based on it [leaked] documents,” Albregts said in his report to Dorsey last October.

The allegation broke when the German newspaper Der Spiegel reported in 2017 on its Football Leaks exposé with documents revealing details of the case.

A leaked document claims Ronaldo said during sex that “she said no several times and stopped.” He is said to have apologized afterwards. His lawyers said the document was “completely fabricated” to defame him.

Stovall could appeal Dorsey’s decision to the US 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco.

The Associated Press reports Saturday that they have not responded to calls or text messages to match Larissa Drohobyczer on the issue.

The allegation was made against Cristiano Ronaldo over a decade ago

Mayorga, through Stovall and Drohobyczer, consented to her name being used publicly during the trial.

In 2019, US prosecutors said no charges would be brought against Ronaldo, nine years after Mayorga reportedly reached an out-of-court settlement with the Portuguese player.

Ms Mayorga had attempted to reopen the case in 2018, with her lawyer claiming she was motivated by the #MeToo movement against sexual violence.

Ronaldo is said to have raped American Mayorga while vacationing in Las Vegas in the summer of 2009, just weeks before joining Real Madrid from United. He has always denied the allegations and has never been criminally charged with the allegations.

On June 12, 2009, Ronaldo met Mayorga at the now closed Rain nightclub and they were photographed by paparazzi that evening.

Mayorga has claimed she was invited to Ronaldo’s suite at the Palms Place Hotel, where the rape is said to have taken place.

Kathryn Mayorga as a model in Las Vegas
(

Picture:

Getty Images North America)

Ronaldo was a soccer superstar throughout his nearly two-decade career
(

Picture:

(Getty Images)

A day later, on June 13, 2009, Mayorga reported the alleged rape to police but refused to reveal the name of her alleged assailant or the location of the incident.

After hiring a lawyer, Mayorga initiated civil proceedings against Ronaldo, which have now been dismissed by the judge

Clark County prosecutors said in 2019 that they would not be prosecuting the alleged attack.

They told TMZ that officers who visited the hotel that day “were unable to conduct a meaningful investigation” because the woman refused to identify an assailant and would not say where she had been assaulted.

“Without knowing the identity of the perpetrator or the location of the crime, investigators were unable to locate and seize key forensic evidence,” prosecutors said.

“Additionally, video evidence showing interactions between the victim and perpetrator before and after the alleged crime was lost. Criminal investigations have been dropped.”

In September 2018, the player released a statement to publicly refute all allegations: “I strongly deny the allegations made against me.

“Rape is a heinous crime that goes against everything I am and believe in. As much as I’m interested in clearing my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people trying to promote themselves at my expense.”

See also  College Football Hall of Fame ballots featuring former Spartan All-American Flozell Adams and former coach Darryl Rogers

Leave a Comment